Adoption – Child Custody – Cohabitation Agreements & Property Division
Family law is dynamic and changing, particularly in the past five years as state after state has seen fit to provide the same level of protection to gay and lesbian couples as they provide to heterosexual couples. While that is not currently the case in Texas, gay and lesbian couples do have an increasing amount of access to Texas family courts.
At the Plano Family Law office of Daryl.T.Gordon our attorney work with gay and lesbian couples on a wide range of family law issues, including:
- Adoption of a child together or of your partner’s child
- Child custody of a child you both parented, at the time a relationship ends
- Child custody if a former partner is trying to deny your parental rights on the grounds of homosexuality
- Drafting of cohabitation agreements for couples planning to join households
- Property division at the end of a relationship
Starting Your Life Together
We’re happy to help families begin their journey together.
- If you are considering combining households, you may want to work with a family lawyer to draft a cohabitation agreement describing how you
- will handle household property and expenses. Such an agreement has two benefits: it ensures everyone understands their responsibilities from
- the beginning and it makes it easier to divide property should the relationship end.
We can help you with the adoption paperwork for one or both parents:
- If you have a child from a previous relationship and you want your partner to adopt your child
- If you and your partner have conceived a child through sperm donation and the non-pregnant partner wants to be named a legal parent, or
- If you and your partner are adopting an unrelated child
Our attorney particularly skilled in the courtroom, enjoy tackling difficult cases and arguing at trial. If you’re facing a child custody battle, that is the family lawyer you want on your side.
If you don’t have legal standing in court (yet), you and your partner may turn to mediation as a way to resolve your dispute. Or course, mediation may be your first choice because of the obvious benefits of time savings and cost savings. Daryl.T.Gordon trained in mediation and collaborative law.
Contact Daryl.T.Gordon who understand your rights under Texas law. You DO have rights and we work to protect them. Call 972-673-0303.